You’re here because you’re looking for delicious and healthy pre workout smoothie recipes. Maybe the smoothies you’ve had in the past haven’t worked for you. Or maybe you want a variety so you can make different healthy smoothies before every workout. We understand.
Sports Samurai has you covered. We promise to give you our best pre workout smoothie recipes in this article. These recipes will transport from your kitchen to the beautiful beaches of Hawaii. Let’s get started…
Are smoothies good for pre workout?
Yes. Smoothies are good pre workout. Food is fuel. Fuelling yourself properly before a workout can give you the boost you need, especially when you’ve had a tough day and the gym is the last thing you want to do. We understand. Smoothies are portable and customisable, which is why Sports Samurai recommends them.
One thing to note: the pre workout smoothies listed below aren’t meals or meal replacements. They mainly contain fruit and vegetables. This is because we don’t want you to be overly full. We’re assuming you’ve already had a main meal a few hours before this, and you’re using our pre workout smoothie recipes to get an extra boost of energy and keep you full throughout your workout.
With that being said, let’s get started.
Our 11 Delicious Pre Workout Smoothie Recipes
The Green Smoothie
The first item on our pre workout smoothie list is packed with green vegetables. The benefits of green vegetables are endless. This smoothie is perfect for before the gym when you want a boost of energy. Spinach, kale, and other green vegetables keep you hydrated and fuller for longer, and you’ll be getting a good source of carbohydrates from the banana and apple juice. We know it might not sound appealing, but trust us, it tastes better than it sounds!
- 2 cups kale
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 cups pure apple juice
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- Place all ingredients in the blender and make sure to blend until smooth
- Drink right away. You’ll be ready to smash those weights in no time!
The Banana Avocado Smoothie
One of our most popular pre workout healthy smoothie recipes is next. This heavenly combination of banana and avocado will feel more like a treat than a chore. Again, this contains bananas for energy, and also contains sources of healthy fats.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 cup non-fat vanilla greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp of coconut shavings, unsweetened
- Add banana, avocado, and yoghurt into a blender and make sure to blend until all lumps are gone
- Add the remaining ingredients including chia seeds, vanilla extract, and almond milk, then blend again
- Top with unsweetened coconut shavings if desired and enjoy
The Sweet Cherry Almond Smoothie
We all love with cherries, right? Well if you do, this pre workout smoothie is for you. Almonds have many benefits, one of them being reducing your hunger, which is perfect for keeping you going throughout that workout!
- 1 cup frozen sweet cherries
- 1 scoop whey protein
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1 banana
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp nut or seed butter
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- Place all ingredients in the blender and add a small amount of water to create desired consistency
- Sprinkle or top with the optional ingredients from above
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth
The Pina Colada Smoothie
We did say you’d feel like you’re in Hawaii from our delicious pre workout smoothie recipes, didn’t we? Sports Samurai isn’t going to let you down. Coconut is a great addition to any diet.
- 2 cups pineapple (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup non-fat coconut greek yoghurt (if you can’t find this, use vanilla instead)
- In a blender, add the ingredients
- Blend until creamy. And don’t forget to serve with a pineapple wedge to give you tropical vibes
The Peach Mango Smoothie
The next item on our pre workout smoothie list combines two of our favourite fruits – peach and mango. It’s delicious! You’ll drink this and feel refreshed as ever.
- 1 cup peeled and sliced peaches
- 1/2 cup chopped mangoes
- 1/4 cup mango nectar
- 1 banana
- 2 teaspoons sugar or honey
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth
- Enjoy cold 🙂
The Vanilla Chai Smoothie
This pre workout smoothie is to die for, especially if you’re a tea lover like us! It’s also full of protein, which is perfect if you haven’t met your requirement for the day – perfect for pre workout!
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup tea from a tea bag (chilled)
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon natural almond butter
- Water to blend (optional)
- Pour almond milk into a bottle or a thermos
- Add tea to the milk
- Add in vanilla and other listed spices
- Now, add in chia seeds and protein powder
- Your next step is to shake it until your drink is smooth
- Lastly, add some ice (if desired)
Sports Samurai has the highest quality gym bags and backpacks…
The Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie
Calling all chocolate lovers!! This pre workout smoothie is going to give you that smile you need before you have to leave for the gym. It’s perfect to forget that tough day at work and remember that life is incredible!
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- Place bananas in a blender with cocoa powder, maple syrup, and peanut butter. Mash them
- Add almond milk and ice and blend until it becomes smooth and creamy
- Top with shredded dark dairy-free chocolate, if you’re feeling extra naughty
The Vegetable Smoothie
We can’t have chocolate in all of our pre workout smoothie recipes, unfortunately! That being said, this healthy smoothie is packed with vegetables. We all know they’re great for you, so why not try this vegetable smoothie out?
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/3 cup carrot juice
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- Put everything in a blender
- Keep blending until it is completely smooth. The consistency of the smoothie can be easily adjusted by adding ice or water
The Mixed Berry Smoothie
This pre workout berry smoothie contains only 3 ingredients. But that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in taste. Give this a go for maximum pre workout energy!
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- Place all 3 ingredients into a blender
- If you don’t like seeds in a smoothie, avoid raspberries and blackberries which are loaded with seeds. Instead, use blueberries and strawberries to whip up this amazing pre workout smoothie
The Watermelon Smoothie
Who doesn’t love watermelon? This amazing combination will make you feel like it’s summer every day – perfect for pre workout!
- 2 cups watermelon. Make sure that you remove the seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of vanilla yoghurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Cut watermelons and freeze for at least one hour
- Now place these pieces in a blender. Add yoghurt, milk and maple syrup to these chunks. Blend and process this mixture until you reach the ideal smooth texture
- Serve immediately, garnished with mint if desired
The Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
The final item on our pre workout smoothie recipe list is a combination of pineapple and coconut.
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of yoghurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Blender all ingredients until a smooth texture is achieved
- Serve immediately
- For those of you who want an unsweetened version of this smoothie, you can use unsweetened coconut milk and unsweetened shredded coconut
In this article, we’ve gone through our 11 delicious pre workout smoothie recipes. All 11 will help to give you that extra energy you deserve when you exercise. We’ve kept them full of fruit and vegetables, and fairly low in calories. They make perfect pre workout smoothies for weight loss. But they can also act as a useful tool if weight gain is your goal.
Pro Tip: Ensure you’re still eating proper meals. These smoothies aren’t meals. They’re designed to keep you full and give you that extra bit of energy before your workout.
Do you have any pre workout smoothie recipes you’d like to share with our followers? Let us know in the comments below.